Wednesday 9 April 2008

Scorcese

I have been an admirer of Martin Scorcese. I liked his "Goodfellas" a lot. His "Taxi" was interesting, though too long. There was short film in a trilogy of films with Nick Nolte that was terrific. But now he has just made "Shine the Light"; it will not be a film I will be going to see because I cannot take The Rolling Stones.
He uses an army of cinematographers to film a few concerts and then there's an editor, David Tedeschi (where's his usual editor - she was superb?) to bring it all together into one continuous film.
I can't see where the creative powers of Scorcese are utilised: employing all those cinematographers and then having an editor to do the splicing together of all the bits and pieces they have filmed, it seems to me that Scorcese must have been a sort of Producer of the affair, looking over shoulders at the work of others.
But what I know about the technical aspects of making a film you can write on the back of a postage stamp.
It's easy, said Orson Welles; you get people to act and you point the camera at them.

No comments: