Saturday 5 April 2008

Michael Clayton

Am I the only person in the world who thought the film "Michael Clayton" was boring?
All the big reviewers have written encomiums about it, praising Clooney particularly for his performance, but I found it tedious to the point of having to stop watching it (I turned the DVD off). I can't believe it was a popular film since it was so difficult to follow - I feel that if Clooney had not been in it to give the main character, well, character, the film would have failed on all accounts: plot construction, character development, excitement of dramatic action.....
But I am no film critic. And as I get older I am finding modern American films quite hard to take, especially those which have an agenda - they are going to deal with important issues and tell us what we should think about them. Most of George Clooney's films recently (apart from Oceans 10, 11, or whatever) have had agendas and I am fed up with being preached to by them.
I have not seen a good new film since "The Lives of Others".

No comments: