Tuesday 8 April 2008

Death beds

Yesterday I bought a book from the local library - they were selling off unwanted books. It was a collection of stories by William Trevor called "A Bit on the Side". How is it that a wonderful book of stories like this sells for 20 pence? (Because nobody wants to read it of course - pass the latest Mills and Boon please).
The first story was called"Sitting with the Dead". Two sisters, the Geraghtys, of a certain age, "sat with the dying". In this case they arrived at the home of Emily too late to sit with the dying, for Emily's husband had already died. But they sat anyway. Emily made them tea and something to eat and they, well, sat. And chatted.
Maybe this is typical of Ireland. I can't say that I've heard of this practice in England or Wales.
Though I did hear a story of a man, let's call him Mr. George, who liked to "sit with the dying". He made a habit of turning up at people's homes when he knew they were on their last legs.
One day he arrived at the home of Lord Somebody-or-Other who was on his death bed. The butler duly informed his Lordship that Mr. George was at the door and should he let him in.
His Lordship replied: "Certainly. If I am alive when he gets here I'll be pleased to see him; if I'm dead he'll be pleased to see me."
Which brings to mind what a certain Dominic Bonheurs, a French grammarian, is supposed to have said just before he died: "I am about to.... or I am going to.... die. Either expression is used."

No comments: