Sunday 27 April 2008

Bristol Old Vic

I once got close, I believe, to having a play staged at The Bristol Theatre Royal. Close but not close enough.
It would have been a wonderful thing for me because I have always had a great love of that theatre and its many great actors. Many, of course, were not great when they were there, just starting out on successful careers.
Two I particularly recall not just because they turned in great performances but because I saw them play the same parts in two different plays - "Hamlet" and "Man and Superman". They were (and are) Peter O'Toole and Richard Pascoe.
I saw both of them at different times playing the lead in Hamlet at The Bristol Old Vic and remember well how good they both were but how different their interpretations were. Then I saw Pascoe as the lead in "Man and Superman" on stage at Bristol but O'Toole in a TV version of his stage performance as John Tanner. Both were immensely funny.
Now the theatre is closed but great efforts are being made to drum up enough money to re-open it.
Let's hope.

No comments: