Wednesday 23 April 2008

Dollars and Pounds

I have a play published by an American company and occasionally I received cheques for the royalties the play made. As time went on the cheques got smaller and smaller.
One of these came to about ten dollars. I took it to my bank and said I wished to cash it in pounds please. The girl behind the counter worked things out a while then told me, though the value in pounds was not much, the fee for the transaction was more.
I said: "In other words, I have to pay you instead of you paying me."
She smiled and said "That's right," as if she had discovered something new.
I took it away, wrote to the publisher and said "please don't send me cheques with small amounts of dollars; wait until the amounts accrue to, say, about a hundred dollars and then send me a cheque; in that way I won't have to pay the bank much relatively for the transaction."
I have not had a cheque since.

No comments: