Tuesday 22 April 2008

Cartoons

I have often thought of some good ideas for cartoons but cannot draw them, so there they remain in my head - for ever! And I am not going to send my ideas to magazines because I know what will happen. Nothing. And some time later the cartoons will appear drawn by a resident artist.
This happened to a professional cartoonist I knew of. He sold a good deal of his own work but often his work was turned down only for him to find that it had been done by someone else. He never complained. Why? Because they would not want his work again, he felt.
A man turned up at the Adult Education College I used to frequent who was there to teach people how to be cartoonists. Having a couple of hours to spare he gave the Writers Group a talk because at one time he had written a couple of sit-com episodes.
The first words he said were: "I have to tell you I can't write."
Writing to him must have meant being literary and he wasn't literary; he just put bubbles in mouths of sit-com characters or of cartoon characters.
Another thing he told us was: "You don't have to be able to draw well to be a cartoonist."
I have never believed that. If I believed that I'd turn my ideas into cartoons, but I can't, I don't know where to start.
And I'm not not teling you what these brilliant ideas are in case you use them - I'll die with them.

No comments: