Tuesday 19 August 2008

Two novels

Two remarkable novels have stayed in my mind for many years; they are both Russian. They areDostoievski's "The Possessed" and Tolstoy's "Resurrection".
The first is not one of the most popular of Dostoievski's and the second, likewise, is not Tolstoy's most popular work.
But there is something about the first that brought Russia of that period before the revolution vividly to life; and there is in the second something of the great novelist struggling with his moral problems.
"The Possessed" has been translated since my first reading of it a few times and each time its name is changed: "The Devils" is one. But I have never taken to translations of both these books other that those by Constance Garnett.
One get used to her style I suppose. Maybe the other versions are truer to the original text, maybe they have a greater style in themselves.... Maybe a lot of things but it's Garnett's version that I like most.
I once saw a stage version of "The Possessed" by Albert Camus. At the Mermaid Theatre, London. It was a wonderful evening. Believe it or not Kenneth Griffiths, famed for his "stupid Welshmen", was superb in the part of an anarchist.
I think "Resurrection" has been made into a film but it is not much liked I believe: Tolstoy tackling a theme of moral remorse and not pulling it off because he was too much in thrall to a certain religious code of behaviour.
P.S. Later, after his great success at The Mermaid, I heard Kenneth Griffith as "Hamlet" on radio and believe it was the worst performance I have ever heard by someone playing that part.

No comments: