Friday 1 August 2008

Male and Female Sides

Melissa Kite, in this week's Spectator says she and her boy friend have just split up and she's so desperate she feels like doing things which might release the tenseness in her - like killing herself. Then she says she's going to explore her male side and do things like squeezing the toothpast tube at the middle.
So that's a male thing? Well, I must have a female side because I don't think I have ever done that; I have always squeezed from the bottom.
But if I have a female side it doesn't come into effect when I am writing plays, according to a once close friend who was, some time back, a quite famous actress in Rep. She told me: "You can't write for women."
Actually I think I can. One of my most successful plays, "Dreamjobs", is an all woman - or, rather, all girl - cast. Each character is quite distinctly delineated I think; I have never had feed-back on it to the effect that "I don't know anyone like those characters". No, it's been all good things said.
Where she has a point, I believe, is when I write a play that has women as well as men in it. We started to write a play together about 15 years ago and as soon as she read what I had written in Act 1 she said: "The wife is not right."
"What's wrong with her?" I asked.
"She's too miserable. That's all she does is moan."
I tried to happy her up a bit, failed and we abandoned the project.
But, thinking about it, have you ever heard "The Archers"? All the women on that series are miserable as hell. And "East Enders"? They're either moaning miserably or bonking. Or both!

No comments: