Monday 18 August 2008

Titles

These days, getting older - or, rather, getting old - I am greeted in all sorts of ways; I am hardly ever called "sir". Not that I want to be. I have always felt that being referred to that way makes me want to say "O no, I'm not that important."
But sometimes it is a title that is gratefully accepted. For example, if I am buying something expensive than I feel I deserve some respect so I then accept "sir" as their gratitude to me for buying the commodity from them.
However, I sometimes feel that what people call me is said in order to make me feel that I am not really worthy of that much respect. "Squire" for example. I regard this as almost verbally abusive since I am not a squire and they know it. Maybe it's said to demean me in some way!
Recently I have been called "Lovely" and, more endearingly I suppose, "My lovely" by women serving me coffee. Which makes me feel old. Which I am. But I don't want it to be so obvious to all and sundry.
One term I really object to is "Young man".
Recently I took a taxi with a driver who felt the country was going to the dogs, that there were too many foreigners here.... You know the type. When I paid him he said "Thank you, young man."
Again, a fishmonger at a supermarket, after serving me with a halibut steak said "There you go then, young man."
I do not like it. Perhaps I am being too sensitive but it makes me think that these two guys think me not worthy of being treated as an adult, that because I'm getting on in years then that does not automatically put me in a priveleged position; that they can get away with a wry, joking phrase which puts me down while making me believe there's some affection there.
The fish, by the way, was inedible. And the taxi driver was a bore.

No comments: