Friday 8 August 2008

Scientists and Artists

A friend of mine, a lapsed Catholic who became very left wing if not actually a communist, when I mentioned Solzhenitsin and his troubles with the Russian powers-that-be some years ago, said "Well Solzhenitsin is only a physicist."
That, sort of, absolved him from being considered a serious artist. Or serious anything. So "physicist" becomes a term of abuse. The fact that I myself had once taught physics seemed to escape my friend.
Another scientist who became famous (as a composer) was Borodin. I remember watching the programme "Who wants to be a millionaire?" and a competitor got to the last question for 1 million pounds but he couldn't answer it. I could. "What was the occupation of Borodin?" Four options. One was "chemist". That was it. I might have won a million. The trouble was that that was about the only question I could answer.

No comments: