Sunday 17 August 2008

Dannie Abse

Now 85 years of age and still writing, Dannie Abse, the well known Cardiff poet is keeping fit and well - so an article on him in the "Body and Soul" section of Saturday's Times newspaper says.
I once met him. It was at a launch of a book of poems I had been invited to. The book was called "Twelve Modern Anglo-Welsh Poets" and Abse was included with 12 of his own poems.
It was an entertaining evening with some of the poets reading favourite works of their own and wine galore for everyone.
Someone said to me "There's Dannie Abse." He was chatting to a few people across the room. I went over and said to him "Mr Abse: I saw a play of yours in London recently." It was a play performed above a pub - a fringe play, a one-acter, few cast. I continued: "I thoroughly enjoyed it." Which I truthfully had.
"That is the worst production of one of my plays ever. Ever!"
I sheepishly returned to my glass of wine.

No comments: