Sunday 2 November 2008

Trevor Jones

When I was young I went to a concert in Blackwood's Miners' Institute; the star of the show was Trevor Jones, tenor. I can find only one reference to his name and that is that he appeared in the film "The Great Mr, Handel" as "tenor". So, I assume he sang in the film but did no acting.
I saw that film, made in 1942, and enjoyed it: it had a lot of Handel's music in it of course and it had a striking performance from Wilfred Lawson as the great composer - a rather argumentative man who spoke with a strong German accent (much different from the part Lawson played in the film "Pygmalion" in which he played the dustman, the heroine's father).
I would very much like to see that film again, see if is any good or see if it merits the one star given it in the film reference website I found it on.
I had seen Trevor Jones's name some ago as one of the singers on an old record of Ivor Novello's songs, I actually had the record but.... where it has gone I don't know.
At the concert in Blackwood I remember Trevor Jones singing only one song, though he must have sung many; it was from an operetta I believe and was the song of a dwarf or deformed man with a "knap-sack"(?) on his back. I doubt if that song will ever be heard again or maybe it will be delivered in a new politically correct, acceptable form - man of smallish build with an attractive protruberance attached naturally to his rear, high up.
He was a fine tenor but now, it seems, forgotten.

No comments: