Friday 7 November 2008

In Court

When I was a student a friend of mine was arrested and his case came up a few weeks later. "Rusty" (he had red hair!), with some friends of his, had broken into the Students' Union building - I can't recall why - but probably looking for a few more drinks. Someone heard them and phoned the police. When the police approached the group Rusty pulled out from his pocket a water pistol and shot water into the policeman's face.
We (Rusty's other friends, the unnarrested ones) all turned up to his trial and, lo and behold, he got off with a caution.
The case didn't last long so we stayed on to see the next case which was a bloke who had been caught breaking into a shop. The policeman who had arrested him stood facing the crook's lawyer who said: "Officer, you say that, in arresting my client, you used your truncheon." "Yes, I did." "Tell me, constable, have you used a truncheon before?" "Never," said the copper proudly.
"I see," said the defence council, "untrained in the use of a truncheon."
I wondered: do they give such training? If so, on dummies? Or volunteers? They should have used Rusty - that head of red hair would have taken all the blows like a sponge.

No comments: