Sunday 23 November 2008

Dubai

Was I dreaming or did I read somewhere that a wedding that took place in Dubai recently cost as much as 13 million dollars? OK, so people are rich out there but squandering that amount of money on a wedding strikes me as.... well, demented.
I have a slim association with Dubai in that a play of mine was performed there last year. Not, I hasten to add, anywhere near The Atlantis hotel where the wedding took place (with, by the way, a firework display that out-brillianced the one in China at the Olympic Games) but at a school.
My play "Dreamjobs" which over the years has been put on many times, is now not all that popular; so I was surprised to see from the info. on my royalty payment that it had been staged at The American School of Dubai.
Look that school up on the internet and you'll see it's one of the most fabulous schools - they do everything a school should do there, and more.
I wrote an e mail to the Drama Teacher at the school asking how my play went down but did not receive a reply. I was hoping for the sort of reply that said something like "It went down wonderfully well and we'd like to extend an invitation for you to come to our school as Resident Playwright for a year or two, where we'll put you up in The Atlantis, all expenses paid....."
What I did get was a cheque for £16.

No comments: