Saturday 8 November 2008

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

Years ago when there were many cinemas in South Wales, a lot owned by people not by organisations like Odeon, they used to have showings of new films for these owners, called Trade Shows. Sometimes I'd be lucky enough to get tickets for these films. I can't recall how I did this but it usually had to do with knowing someone who knew someone who knew the owner or manager of one of the valley cinemas - or, as we often did, by standing outside the cinema when a Trade Show was about to start and asking if we could go in with a person who was about himself to go in - a ticket could be used for two people. That is begging, in a way. Usually these trade people would say yes so you could see one of the latest releases before it was distributed to the general public - for free!
There are only two films I recall seeing at a Trade Show: a film with Jerry Lewis which was dreadful, and "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" which was marvellous.
I went with my brother, older than me by four years. How we got tickets I don't know though I do know it wouldn't have been by begging (he wouldn't have done that sort of thing).
This afternoon I caught on TV the ending of "Fort Bravo" which was the prequel to "Yellow Ribbon", the first in the series John Ford made concerning the career of a certain officer in the American army played by John Wayne. What a wonderful film it is: great performances by Henry Fonda and Wayne, with Victor McClaglen bursting the seams of his uniform with cheery Oirish vitality.
This film is in black and white, "Yellow Ribbon" is in glorious technicolour.
As we came out of the dark cinema into the bright morning sun my brother stopped, turned to me and said: "What a marvellous film that was."
So it was. Is.
Apart from when we were boys I think that is the only film I ever saw with him in a cinema. We didn't always like the same things (though I do recall that we both loved the violin concertos of Sibelius and Elgar and the black and white versions of the Shakespeare history plays on TV) but on this occasion we found something we both liked enormously.

No comments: