Friday 29 February 2008

Wilde

I have been reading the first part of "The Importance of Being Earnest" and what a funny play it is with its clever, witty lines. But are they replete with meaning? I don't think so. I can't help comparing Wilde's sayings with those of George Bernard Shaw. Shaw strikes me as a deeper thinker than Wilde so his "sayings" are much more meaningful.
"The truth is rarely pure and never simple. Modern life would be very tedious if it were either, and modern literature a complete impossibilty!" (Wilde)
"Liberty means responsibilty. That is why most men dread it." (Shaw)
"When one is in town one amuses oneself. When one is in the country one amuses other people." (Wilde)
"Marriage is popular because it combines the maximum of temptation with the maximum of opportunity." (Shaw)
But when Lady Bracknell arrives on the scene who cares about meaningfulness?
"I'm sorry we are a little late, Algernon, but I was obliged to call on Lady Harbury. I hadn't seen her since her husband's death. I never saw a woman so altered; she looks quite twenty years younger." (Wilde)

No comments: