Thursday 21 February 2008

Breakfasts

Today I had breakfast in Debenhams in Cardiff. It was really rather good for £3.15. A freshly fried egg, bacon, sausage, fried bread, hash potatoe, tomatoes (from a tin) and toast. All nicely cooked and tasty.
Compared to that served in Asda it was fit for a King. It's not that the food is poor, it's that it has been lying around on warmish trays for a long time so that the bacon, in particular, is never hot, often cold; and the presentation is much to be desired - they dump the stuff on the plates so that the egg is often floating in beans, the bacon is under the tomatoes and the black pudding is simply nowhere to be seen.
I used to breakfast in town quite often. Here are some features of the places I went:
In Wimpey's everything is circular because, probably everything is cooked in circular metal dishes. Ok, you expect the sliced tomatoe to be round, but the bacon too? Amazing!
British Home Stores did good quality breakfasts, well presented, a cheap one and a slightly dearer one. I went there with my daughter a few years ago, I had the standard breakfast while she, being vegetarian, wanted just a few items, an egg, tomatoe, toast etc. When I came to pay the bill they'd charged her much more than me yet my meal had been twice the size. They explained: "we serve the standard breakfasts to attract people here to buy other things whereas if you buy single items you are charged separately for them."
I see!
The best breakfast in town is in a small cafe in Quay Street where the food is cooked freshly as you order it. And it's cheap.

No comments: