Wednesday 27 February 2008

It's my job

I was on a cruise holiday a few years ago and there was a pianist who entertained the holiday crowd with songs, mainly standard stuff of old and some modern numbers. He could play and sing any song you requested. I was staggered by his ability to remember so much and just before the holdiday ended, I asked him how he was able to do that.
I was hoping for an illuminating answer but all I got was "It's my job."
Later, back on firm ground, I was at the funeral of my aunt and the vicar conducting the service showed a knowledge of my her that astounded me. When I was leaving at the end of the service I made a point of shaking the vicar's hand and saying "I was very impressed by your knowledge of the life of my aunt."
"It's my job," he said.

No comments: