Thursday 7 February 2008

The dreaded F word

Well, not so dreaded these days. After all, it's used frequently on TV shows and plays: Gordon Ramsay cannot finish a sentence without using it at least once; characters in plays use it often; people in reality shows like to use it to give themselves "street cred" I think.
Last week I put a play in for a competition; it was called "On the Street" and was about six young people who lived rough, were homeless. Some of my plays feature young people - my most popular play features six young women, girls really, about to leave school, who dream of the sort of lives they are going to live though we know they are never going to fulfill their desires; they are dreaming and the play was called "Dreamjobs". Now there was no need for me to use "four letter words" in their case though in real life they would probably have used them. I did not think of them as quite so "street-wise" as the characters in "On the Street". Here were a tougher bunch of young people all together with one character, Rick, an out and out scoundrel if not a killer. I had to give him and one other lad who is influenced by him a reality that included the sort of language that young men like them would adopt so I had them using the F word a few times. Not all the time which would have been more real but would have been boring, as people always are who sprinkle the F word willy nilly throughout their speech. Without the F word the two characters, I feel, would have lacked credibilty.
I did not use the word for its "audience effectiveness" (I know from seeing many plays that its use more often than not works) but for the sake of making the characters more believeable.
We shall see.

No comments: