Wednesday 30 July 2008

Who Am I?

Melissa Kite in The Spectator writes about how she is sometimes supposed to be listening to someone but is thinking about something else. I notice that in a lot of people. Perhaps it's me. Perhaps they are bored with me.
I don't really know why but a review of a new novel by a young woman was brought to mind. The novel is about a Professor who one day thinks his wife is not his real wife but someone else. Now how anyone can make a whole novel out of this premise is beyond me but - she must be a genius - she has.
The review started off by the reviewer saying the novel brought to his mind a joke (or maybe a non-joke) by an American comedian named Steven Wright. It was this:
I woke up one day and everything in my apartment had been stolen and replaced with an exact replica. I said to my room-mate: "can you believe this? Everything in my apartment has been stolen and replaced with an exact replica." He said: "Do I know you?"

No comments: