Monday 14 July 2008

6 characters in search.....

Pirandello's play fascinates me. "Six characters in Search of an Author". I recently wrote a short play in which a fictional character makes an appearance: none other than Lady Bracknell from "The Importance of Being Ernest." I wonder if my introduction of this character is anything like the surreal introduction in Pirandello's play of his six characters. Probably not. His play probably has more depth and meaning, mine was a bit of fun.
The Pirandello play is being staged at Chichester in their annual festival; I was all set go and see it, almost booked it - then I read the reviews. O my God! It seems it's pretty awful.
The director has gone and messed with it, done things to it that are not in the play, brought it up to date perhaps.
Not on.
When I see a classic I want to see the classic as written by the author not someone's interpretation of it.
So I won't be going to Chichester this year.
Went last year to see Patrick Stewart in "Macbeth". It had had good reviews. I thought it was dreadful (Stewart was good though). And d'you know what? Same director as the one for the Pirandello classic!
Incidentally, apropos "Macbeth" - are there any characters as boring in all theatre as the witches? In the Chichester production they were not just boring, they made you want to scream "Get me out of here!"

No comments: