Sunday 13 July 2008

The Bull Fight

I have just been reading something about "The Bull Run" which takes place in a town in Spain: crowds gather in the streets, then the bulls are let free and a chase takes place in which the men (mostly men and boys I believe) run like hell to get away from them and the bulls run like hell to catch them and gore them if they can.
What great fun!
Apparently Hemingway was fond of this "game"; he is supposed to have had tickets for the event in his pocket when his body was found after he had committed suicide.
He was, of course, very fond of the bull fight; he wrote a lot about it and attended regularly.
I attended two bull fights some years back. The first had a couple of famous torreodors fighting bulls, the second didn't, ordinary fighters who were often booed.
I can't think why I went a second time, the first was gory enough.
The best part of the bull fight is when the bull is let out into the ring: he is hurt and he is savage; he runs but at the same time he is looking for someone to gore. You wish there was someone for him to gore. You're on his side.
I was anyway.

No comments: