Tuesday 28 April 2009

Steinbeck

Does anyone read John Steinbeck any more? Well his novel "Of Mice and Men" is being done on some GCSE courses. Good to hear. But what about "The Grapes of Wrath" and "East of Eden"?
I wanted to find out if Sinclair Lewis was still on the shelves of bookshops; all I could find was, probably his most well-known novel, "Main Street". No others. So I looked for books by William Faulkner and found none.
So some of the great works of American literature aren't read these days.
These authors were popular with me and many of my friends when I was a young man. They were quite different in style, tone, storyline, characters than the novels by English writers of the same period. And, of course , some of them made great films. There was the John Ford classic "The Grapes of Wrath" and Lewis Milestone's "Of Mice and Men" which had two charismatic actors in it, Lon Chaney Jr and Burgess Meredith. What a performance Lon Chaney gave as the simple-minded Lennie? More recently John Malkovitch played that role in another film version which is said to be excellent.
I don't think "Main Street" was made into a film but others of Sinclair Lewis's were: "Cass Timberlaine" for one (with Spencer Tracey if memory serves right).
I don't think I'd be able to re-read any of Steinbeck's novels, great as they are, but I can watch the films made of them over and over. I could re-read Sinclair Lewis's novels - all except "Main Street" which is one of those books that you keep reading though at every page you tell yourself "I'm not reading anymore of this boring book". You can't get away from it. Like "Women in Love" and "The Garden of the Finzi Continies" you have to read it to the end although you keep saying you don't want to.

No comments: