Friday 17 April 2009

Deception

The film "Deception" which I saw last night and sort of enjoyed, though there were heaps of loose ends and an ending that left one feeling rather sick and weary and saying to oneself "why have I wasted nearly an hour over that?" Yet I didn't turn it off (video) as I do with most "Wire"'s (because I can't understand what the characters are saying - especially the black ones who should have, like "Airplane" or whatever it was called, had sub titles for two black men on the plane), nor did I rant and rave about it being biased politically (as most George Clooney "serious" films are)..... no, I watched it and felt it was stylish - much more than most TV plays made in Britain.
The stylishness of it had to do with the two performances by Ewan Mcregor and Somebody Else and with some snappy dialogue (which one critic called corny) and with a smooth-like filmic technique. So, a bit like one of the late Woody Allen films, thrillers (which by the way makes me realise that Mcregor was in one of Woody's films recently) but not as good - and you know what critics said of "Match Point" (which I thought excellent) and "cassandra's Crossing" which I thought even better.
Looking up Rotten Tomatoes which has reviews of all films from the world over, I could find only one review which had something good to say about "Deception". It's better than their 12% valuation of it I think.
O yes, there is mention of a good review of the film on the cover of the DVD: fantastic etc. written by the film critic of The Daily Star.
That may say something.

No comments: