Wednesday 22 April 2009

I'm on a Train

A couple of years ago I wrote a one act play for a man (in his early 40's): he is on a train and is using his mobile phone to contact various people: his assistant in his nearly bankrupt firm, his wife, his daughter, his wife's psychiatrist etc. It'a a zany, mix-up play, a comedy, ideal for performance at The Edinburgh Festival (he's on his way to that city). Well, though no one has desired to take it to the Festival yet, about twelve men have contacted me about the play.
One in particular lives in Mauritius. He is an actor; he likes the play a lot and thinks he might do it. And he wishes to translate it into his island's main language, Creole. I said "Go ahead, that's fine with me."
I don't know if it will work in Creole but I don't see why not; the only problem with playing it in Mauritius though is that, he tells me, there are no trains there. So he has decided to set it on a bus. Very good. So my play "I'm on a Train" becomes "I'm on a Bus".
Brilliant.

No comments: