Friday 3 April 2009

Plots

Someone was comparing the film "The Sting" with "Deception" and concluding that Hollywood can't make films with complex plots satisfactorilly any more. Don't know why; it's just that they are unable to or don't want to; maybe they thought that the star quality of Julia Roberts would carry the film at the box office and didn't bother to attend sufficiently well to the twists and turns of the story.
Some films with very complicated plots have done well not only with critics but at the box office too. About "The Maltese Falcon" it is said that it would take as long to explain the details of the plot as to see the film. As for "To Be Or Not To Be" with Jack Benny, a certain film director said of it: "I defy anyone to tell you the plot ten minutes after seeing the film".
"The Usual Suspects" is a film that is so complex that it needs to be seen a couple of times to get what the story is telling. I saw it once and thoroughly enjoyed it but didn't follow the twists and turns; yet I had the gut feeling that the people who wrote it and produced it did know. So I saw it again and thought "I get it" - but I wasn't sure. The third viewing I did get it. Was it worth the trouble? Yes it was.
Maybe it's like that feeling you get when listening to some, to you, new piece of music: you think "I don't really know if I like this or not but it's interesting enough to try it a second time". The late quartets of Beethoven. The late sonatas of Beethoven. "Parsifal". Richard Srauss's Alpine Symphony. Berg's Violin Concerto.

No comments: