Wednesday 22 October 2008

Religiosos

Religiosos: religious fanatics who wish to try to convert people. People like me.
I feel I must have that sort of face that attracts them. Maybe they see that there's be a challenge in trying to convert me to their particular faith; or maybe they see an easy one to convert so that it'll knock their "converting points" up for the day. Or maybe because when they smile and say "Hi" I always smile back and say "Hi" to them.
Then I always say "You are going to try and convert me to your faith aren't you?"
"What makes you think that?" they say.
"There's a sparkle in your eyes that tells me that inside that skull of yours there's a burning fire of fanaticism...."
No, I don't say that. I say "Well aren't you?"
"All I want to do is make you aware of...."
That's when I get "the message", "the punch line", "the commercial" so to speak.
I have been approached by Krishna Whatevers, by Mormons, by little old ladies who speak in quiet tones about the world to come and many others.
I always leave with "literature". Which I sometimes read.
This morning I bought some bacon from a young black man in a supermarket. Very nice, friendly guy about twenty three.
"What's the bacon like?" I asked him.
"Good," he said. "So I'm told. I don't eat it."
"Why not?"
"I don't eat pig or black pudding. Blood!"
"Vegetarian?"
"No."
Then a new look came into his eyes. It signalled Religioso.
"Don't," I said, walking away. "I don't want to know."

No comments: