Saturday 7 June 2008

Two Questions

Here are two seemingly unanswerable questions:
First, how on earth did they make Tracey Emin an RA? I was always under the impression that an RA had to be able to paint or, at the very least, be able to produce something approaching a work of art. However, not only have they gone and made her an RA, they have given her the opportunity to "curate" a room of exhibits at this year's Royal Academy's Summer Exhibition. Needless to say she has gone all out to shock. Defending herself she said: "I didn't want to be shocking (you are shocking my dear); but I did want to be provocative." Well, that's one way of avoiding being shocking I suppose.
"There is a fair smattering of male and female genitalia...." (Par for the course so far).... "an explicit structure involving a girl and a zebra.... (a "birdie" maybe with this one).... "and a virtually unwatchable video which shows a naked woman mutilating herself by swinging a barbed wire hoop around her waist.... (an "eagle" surely, an "eagle")."
So says the art critic of The Telegraph.
My father used to visit the Royal Academy's Summer Exhibition every year; if somehow he can see it now he'll be rolling in his grave. I'm rolling in mine and I'm not dead yet.
It is of course not so much "shocking" or so much "provacative" but downright disgusting.
Which was, no doubt, he real intent.
The other unanswerable question is this: What do MEP's actually do? Apart, that is, from trousering a lorry load of expenses and dining out regularly at some of Brussells' finest restaurants? They don't report back to anyone as far as I know. I don't even know who my MEP is.
So what have MEP's and Tracey Emin got in common?
They are all frauds.

No comments: