Friday 13 June 2008

Rhyming poetry

Freida Hughes writing in The Times says ""There are some basic do's and dont's when writing poetry. Rhyme is nice but it is entirely up to the poet - in which case lines must scan."
Not so, writes Wendy Cope in a letter to The Times a day later: "There are some rhyming forms, such as the clerihew, which rhyme but do not scan. And rhyme without metre can be found in the work of a number of reputable poets - Ogden Nash and Paul Muldoon, to name but two."

One of my favourite Ogden Nash poems is:

"The turtle lives 'twixt plated decks,
Which practically conceal its sex,
It is amazing how the turtle
In a such a fix can be so fert'le."

And one of my favourite Wendy Cope poems begins:

"Bloody men are like bloody buses -
You wait for about a year
And as soon as one approaches your stop
Two or three others appear......"

Here's the opening of one of mine:

"I've a dirty old suitcase all covered in grime,
I'm putting it in for 'The Turner',
And an old garden gnome that is dripping with slime -
I'm putting that in for 'The Turner';
My mother-in-law's cat which is dead and is stuffed
It sits on her lap and she's terribly chuffed
But I don't like the in-law or cat half enough
So I'm putting them both in for 'The Turner' ."

Well it rhymes and it scans - what more do you want - Art?

No comments: