Sunday 1 June 2008

Poems for Orchestras

I had the brilliant idea of writing a set of poems about the instruments of the orchestra, a bit like Britten's "Young Person's Guide to Music" in the sense that each section of the classical orchestra would be highlighted and given a sort of character by the poems.
I went ahead and wrote the poems and contacted, by e mail, the conductor of a Cardiff orchestra asking him if he'd be interested in the project leading to a performance. He said I should get in touch with a certain young man who was something like "The person in charge of education of young people associated with music...." Something like that. I did so and arranged a meeting.
As soon as we met I knew (from years of experience of such meetings) that this would be on his part a personal relations exercise. You know, they don't want to meet you, they don't want anything to do with your brilliant idea (which they probably think is stupid) but they are going through the motions because someone has told them to or because I may report a complaint to someone in the arts world that nobody's interested in new ideas and that these people aren't doing what they're paid to do.
I was offered a coffee which I accepted and the meeting began. I told him my idea and the expression on his face froze into a mask of indifference which probably covered an expression of intense annoyance.
Nothing came of it of course. I had to be satisfied with the free coffee - which was Nescafe Jar kind.
It brought to mind a time when I was supposed to be a bit of an expert on calculating machines. I wasn't but my boss liked to say I was so that he didn't have to bother with salesmen. Well, one phoned one day and the boss put me onto him. I spoke some stuff for a while, looked at my boss and he mouthed "Fob him off". So I fobbed him off.
Over that coffee I had been fobbed off.

No comments: