Saturday 24 May 2008

Villains

I shall never forget going to the local theatre to see a production of a popular play by the local drama group only to find that I was one of about five people there. Why? Because it was being played on the same night that had the death of J.R. in "Dallas" on TV. One had to stay in to see that, of course. The fact that I didn't meant that I wasn't a "Dallas" fan.
But it did make me wonder why villains are so popular.
Hitchcock said: "The more successful the villian, the more successful the picture."
Applies to books too. Think "Flashman". Think "Steerforth". Think "Hannibal Lecter", "Moriarty", "Spectre", and of course J.R.
Notice they are all quite sophisticated guys, intelligent, charming, cultured. And usually English!
My favourite is James Steerforth, David Copperfield's best friend who runs off with Ham's fiancee. And David never feels anything but admiration for him, bordering on love. What a cad he is! How vile he is! Yet there's something about him that's larger than life, something about the way he can stick two fingers up to all that is decent and respectable - and get away with it.

No comments: