Monday 12 May 2008

Cyclists

According to the Evening Standard :"Boris Johnson today promised to be more careful on his bike after he was filmed cycling through six red lights, failing to stop at a zebra crossing and mounting the pavement."
Melanie Phillips wrote on her blog : "I have lost count of the times I have been forced to fling myself out of the way of cyclists jumping red lights or failing to stop for pedestrians on crossings. Their anti-social and dangerous, not to say unlawful, behaviour is exceeded in awfulness only by their arrogance.... Now Boris is descending into this self-same pit of moral blackness."
A few months ago I was crossing a dual carriageway in the centre of Cardiff, the green light showing that I could, when a young man on a bike, coming down the street in the wrong direction, on the wrong side of the road, rode straight over my foot.
He slowed and stopped a few yards on, looked back at me and waited for me to go up to him.
I thought "here we go - confrontation - he saying 'what's an old duffer like you...?' etc..., me saying 'you were going the wrong way ... etc..... he saying something about me being an arrogant white, me saying he being a black with a chip on his shoulder....
But before anything was said by me, he said: "I'm terribly sorry sir. You don't have to tell me I was wrong. I really am sorry" in a posh, Southern Counties accent.
"No harm done," I said. "Only in future...."
"I know, sir, I will."
And off he went.
Next time I shall look both ways.

No comments: