Tuesday 6 May 2008

Trash

Someone who has a pseudonym "Eloisa James" used it at first to conceal the fact that, though she was an academic who taught literature, she also wrote historical romance novels under that name. Now, much later, after great success as "Eloisa James" she is no longer ashamed of writing what her colleagues referred to as "trash": she makes a lot of money out of it, which was her original reason for doing it, and now announces to the world that she does it and "is proud of it".
Good for her.
I have known only one writer of such "trash". He was a successful teacher of English in a comprehensive school but was also successful as a writer of "female teenage fiction". Finding he was much more successful doing the latter, he gave up teaching and spent his time writing trash".
Another person who I nearly met, who wrote "trash", was a woman who wrote stories for women's magazines. She taught a class on creative writing which was well attended. When she became ill I was asked if I would take over. I agreed only to find that the students gradually left one by one until I had only a few left. I think they felt sorry for me.
Sometimes I wish I could write the stuff. OK, it's not Thomas Mann but maybe now, if I had had a bash at it, I'd be able to afford the odd cruise. Or two.

No comments: