Friday 16 May 2008

Superman

I read today in The Spectator that the first person to use the word "superman" was George Bernard Shaw. It had been used before that in its German form by Nietzsche in his "Thus Spake Zarasthrusta" - "ubermensch".
Shaw's play "Man and Superman" is a wonderful play, very amusing in the first act (especially in the version I once saw on TV with Peter O'Toole as John Tanner), but its third act, in Hell, is hardly ever played - it is long, has difficult arguments to fathom and seems to have little to do with the dramatic action of the rest of the play. It's Shaw argueing his case, a criticism often thrown at him when he goes off on his high horse about one of his favourite themes.
I saw, at Bristol Old Vic many years ago, a performance of the third act of Man and Superman together with a short play by Chekov, about a professor (I think) who is giving a lecture on "Giving up Smoking", a hilarious one man, one act play (there is an old 33 and a third record of this play in a superb performance by Michael Redgrave which I must look up on Amazon sometime).
That evening at the theatre seeing those two plays by Shaw and Chekov I rate one of the best and most entertaining of my life.
Now The Bristol Old Vic is no more. Let's hope it can be soon resurrected.

No comments: