Monday 15 February 2010

Dinu Lipatti

A couple of weeks ago I bought from an Oxfam shop a recording of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony; it was in a stack of ye olde vinyl records. There, I noticed, also in the stack was a record of Dinu Lipatti playing mainly Bach and Chopin. He was famous for his playing of Bach I believe. I already have a record of him playing Greig's Piano Concerto. Today I returned to the shop hoping Lipatti's record was still there, but it wasn't. Why hadn't I bought it when buying the Beethoven? Because I'm mean, that's why.
Today I suddenly realised that perhaps I could get some Lipatti on "Spotify". And there he was. Heaps of pieces he had recorded: Bach and Chopin and Liszt among others. So I clicked the first on the list, Jesu joy of man's desiring, and heard that marvellous transcription by Myra Hess. Then a Chopin Nocturne - beautiful.
I recall hearing of Arthur Schnabel visiting Walter Legge at EMI studios, Legge being the Director of EMI. Legge asked Schnabel if he had heard Lipatti play. Schnabel said no. "I'll give you a taste then," said Legge. "Greig's Piano Concerto." "O no, not that," said Schnabel. "OK, then just the cadenza." Schnabel listened and sat up amazed at the brilliance of this young performer.
Later they met again. Legge had arranged a concert at which Lipatti was to play a concerto with the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra under Herbert von Karajan; he wanted to know if Schnabel would be at the ready to stand in for Lipatti in case he was too ill to perform. Schnabel said "Yes, I'll do it even though Karajan is conducting."
I'm not aware that he did but soon after Dinu Lipatti died of Hodgkin's disease at the age of 33.

No comments: