Thursday 10 December 2009

Coffee

"Big street chains such as Costa, Starbucks and Caffe Nero are doing well...." So wrote someone in The Times in an article about how coffee is becoming the British favourite drink - not tea any more. Well my experience of coffee at these and other cafes and restaurants is not good. The coffee at Costa might be good quality but THEY SERVE IT IN CARDBOARD CUPS. Now I don't know why cardboard cups or plastic tumblers make a difference to the taste of drinks but they do. To me anyway. If the 'elf 'n safety crew make pubs use plastic containers for drinking beer from, then I won't be visiting their premises. And wherever coffee is served in cardboard containers, you won't see me there either.
A friend of mine used to object to having his nightly large whisky served him a in half pint glass or a wine gklass. He wanted it served in a proper, stocky whisky glass, he said. The barman would shake his head in disbelief that the type of glass made any difference. It probably doesn't affect the taste - it shouldn't scientifically - but it affects.... I don't know what it affects but it's wrong, that's what it is - wrong!
Wine in a wine glass, not a half pint mug; whisky in a whisky glass not a wine glass or pint mug; brandy in a brandy glass not in any other kind; beer in a pint glass; sherry in a tall sherry glass. And coffee in a cup please. O yes, at Cafee Nero a few weeks ago I ordered a double espresso and had it served me in a large cup. Didn't complain. Never do. Just won't go there again.

No comments: