Wednesday 24 June 2009

Poetry Readings

The Spectator magazine is having a poetry reading session. When I saw the £40 I wondered if that was what they were giving everyone who attended; but I thought, when I saw "includes drinks reception", that that would be showing too much generosity on their part.
Of course I didn't think anything of the kind: I'm simply saying that I wouldn't pay £40 for a poetry reading whoever was performing; and with the four "poets" giving the reading - Clive James, Olivia Cole, Andrew Motion and Annie Freud - I don't think I'd give a fiver.
Is Clive James a poet? I can't think of a single poem of his that has impressed me, though I have to say I haven't read all that much. I recall his writing a poem to the Royal Family after which a more famous poet said "is this the worst poem ever written?"
Olivia Cole I have heard of but haven't read - another reason for the fiver!
Andrew Motion: I've read a few bits and pieces of his but was not impressed.
Annie Freud: again not known.
A couple of years ago Boris Johnson, who was then ediotor of The Speccie, ordered that no poems would be published unless they rhymed. Now that he has left,back has come the old stuff, in poetic lines yes, OK, but having no rhymes, not even rhythm. In short: prose.
£40 !!!

No comments: