Friday 5 June 2009

Doors

There is a scene in "Double Indemnity" where Barbara Stanwyck, femme fatale, is with her lover, Fred Macmurray, in his appartment when she is about to leave as Macmurray's boss, in the shape of Edward G. Robinson, appears just down the corridor from the apartment door; she has to hide behind the door as it has been opened so that Robinson can't see her and know she's there with the man who is going to kill her husband (so that they can collect the insurance on his "accidental" death). You see her standing behind the open door as Macmurray speaks to Robinson about the case they are investigating. Good, tense scene. But, as Billy Wilder himself said, "doors never open outwards". They had to pretend that this one was different and did open outwards hoping that no one watching the film would notice.
Today, at a hospital where I was visiting a friend, I came across a door that actually opened outwards. In fact, when I went to leave the room, I tugged at the door expecting it to open inwards, then briefly thought "I've been locked in!"
I pointed this feature out to a nurse, hoping for an explanation. "Security," he said.
I scratched my head.

No comments: