Wednesday 3 September 2008

Wittgenstein

I wish I knew more about philosophy. I once attended extra mural classes in philosophy in Cardiff University but everything I thought I knew then I have now forgotten. I actually did a whole term on the work of Ludwig Wittgenstein but do you think I can remember anything about it? The answer is a simple "no".
Now a new book has been written by Alexander Waugh (O no, not one of the Waughs; I hope not because I was hoping that after the passing on to the Catholic Heaven of Auberon Waugh, we had seen and heard the last of them). It is a book not on the famous philosopher but on the whole family: father, mother, brothers and sisters.
We learn that Ludwig was the youngest, that Paul, the next youngest, was a famous pianist and that three other brothers committed suicide.
Another point of interest is that Paul lost a hand in the first world war and that Ravel, in sympathy for his friend, composed him his "Piano Concerto for left hand", an act of kindness for which I can almost forgive him for composing "Bolero".
Ah yes, I can recall something of the course I took on Wittgenstein. It's what he is most famous for saying: "What can be said at all can be said clearly; and whereof one cannot speak thereof one must be silent." In other words, if you've got something to say, then say it; if you haven't, then belt up.
Maybe!

No comments: