Tuesday 2 September 2008

Glamorous Knitwear

My wife told me that the knitting designs of clothes of the 1930's are now popular. What, those chunky sweaters and jerkins and what-not?
Well, according to The Daily Telegraph, it's true: the old stuff is back.
"If you flicked through magazines of the 1930's to 1950's, the key look of those elegant decades would be a sophisticated, decidedly feminine look, where the glamorous knitwear took centre stage."
So "glamorous knitwear" is back eh! Patterns for jumpers, pullovers, cardigans etc. are being produced of those clothes in vogue then, but the patterns are designed such that they are suitable for "the modern knitter".
Whatever, I wonder, is a "modern knitter" other than "people who knit today"?
Anyway, my wife says that "the Celia Johnson" type cardigan is now popular (and here's me thinking about the Jane Mansfield sweater!).
I can hear the strains of Rachmaninov's 2nd. Piano Concerto now as in my mind's eye I see Trevor Howard in his tweed suit say "Pardon me, I'm a doctor" as he removes a bit of grit from Celia's eye.
Never mind Trevor Howard and his suits. They've never gone away like knitted sweaters have. What I'm looking forward to is the return of the Noel Coward cravat to cover the chicken's neck effect in my ageing body. Together, of course, with the long cigarette holder. God, I'd reconsider my decision to give up smoking if they return to the sartorial scene.
"Darling."
"Yes darling?"
"Nothing darling, just 'darling', darling." (Punch cartoon back then)

No comments: