Wednesday 12 March 2008

Quackery

I had a very painful back some years ago, though it was not disabling; at the doctor's I mentioned this to him, having visited him on another matter. He said: "I'll arrange an appointment with a physiotherapist." Which he did.
Six weeks later I saw the physio, he probed a bit here and there, lay me on a table, pushed and shoved my back and so on. After the second visit my back pain had gone.
Now I have tendonitis in my right shoulder like just like I had a few years ago. Then I went to a chiropracter who said the pain was emanating in my neck. She proceeded to work on my neck, making it click, but to no effect. So I paid her the £32 and left, never to return.
Today I was holding forth about quackery in the health business: "It's a complete waste of time going to these quacks - these chiropracters and these physios....."
Then I remembered the physio, Mark, who had performed a miracle on my back. "Well, not physios," I said. "Just the other lot."
A year after I had gone to the physio I went to see my doctor about something, can't recall what, and said to him: "O, by the way, that physio did the trick on my back."
The doctor said: "Which physio?"
I said: "Mark something or other."
"Hah!" said the doctor, having looked up a file. "He's gone private."

No comments: