Friday 14 March 2008

Alun Hoddinott

I remember Alun Hoddinott, who died recently, well, though not to talk to. He was a student in the Music Department of Cardiff University when I was in the Maths Department. There was, even then, talk then of his success as a composer, mostly of small scale works. Later he received international fame with large scale works and one opera at least (I recall reviewing it for The Anglo-Welsh Review).
His music never appealed to me though he did once write some music for a Gwyn Thomas play, "Jackie the Jumper", and I found that music both thrilling and amusing - it seemed he had made a great effort to supply music of a popular kind, easy to take in, easy to sing. I recall one song with the title "Up and Under" and thought it might become popular but it never did.
Eugene Goosens, an American conductor, some time back said something to the effect that the trouble with playing most new music is that no one wants to hear it a second time.
I have to admit that I have never heard a piece of music by Hoddinott played twice.
Yet he was acclaimed internationally, won many awards and his music was played by many of the big orchestras.

No comments: