Saturday 22 March 2008

Playwrights

No one wants to know playwrights.
I was reviewing a new play by - there you are, that proves it, I can't remember the playwright's name, or the name of the play! Anyway, the play was over and we - reviewers, cast, press officer, director and certain dignitaries (on free tickets!) - were gathered in the bar. I was chatting to the press officer when I noticed a young man standing on his own, sipping a beer.
"Who's that?" I asked the press officer.
"O him," he said, "he's only the writer."
Reminds me of a joke going round Hollywood of the young starlet who dated a script writer to advance her career.
Go on laugh.
On one occasion I made sure I, the writer, got to be known. My play "Aspects of War" was done for five nights in Cardiff together with two other plays, in other theatres, on the subject of the First World War. I offered to do a review of the other two plays for The Stage magazine.
"OK," said the editor. "But we don't have anyone to review yours."
After a little thought he came up with a brilliant idea: "Why don't you review it?" he said.
"Me, my own play? Review my own play?"
"Yes, why not?"
So I did.
A week or so later I was talking on the phone to the Director of the Welsh Theatre Company and told him this story.
"Did you give it a good review?" he asked.
"It's the only good one it got," I said.

No comments: