Monday 21 January 2008

Dali

A couple of weeks ago I bought a Salvador Dali print of a watercolour depicting, in his inimitably surrealistic style, Rome. It cost a bit. Getting it framed cost a bit too - £65 to be precise.
Why did I buy it? I have no answer to that except to say I wanted something fine for my collection of paintings by famous artists on the walls of my sitting room - all reproductions bought over the years for very small amounts, pounds and less.
Was the Dali worth buying? To me, to my wife, to my daughter and to her daughter YES.
Why is Dali not regarded these days as a great artist? Because, perhaps, he became an eccentric celebrity and seemed a silly fool at times. But he was certainly a master of the various crafts he used, unlike some modern artists who seem to me to produce works that are more interesting to talk about than to see.

1 comment:

Jones said...

I am making a comment....