Wednesday 3 March 2010

Angels and Ghosts

I don't believe in either. But I try to avoid them just the same. Apparently 40% of Brtish people believe in angels and a hefty 70% of Americans. I haven't the figure for ghosts but I bet it's about the same. I have met people who believe in ghosts and know of people who see them all the time. Like angels there seem to be good ones and bad or evil ones; the bad ones are members of the devil's family.
I once told a person at a weekend writer's course that I had once seen ghost; she told someone else who told someone else - in short, the word spread through the college like wild fire and soon I had a horde of middle aged females at the door of my room wanting to know all about my experience. I hadn't realised early on in my life what attractive qualities ghost-knowledge endows the male with. I had seen a ghost, no one else had - they'd have eaten out of my hand. Gee, I coulda been a ghost-writing Don Juan!
The ghost I saw was actually in my bedroom. It was staring at me with its horribly blank eyes (a bit like the eyes in "The Scream") and it had a gaping mouth, no teeth that I can recall. The thing was, my mother had been talking with her sister about the previous occupants of our house and that one of them was a medium who held seances in the very same room I slept in. I was scared out of my wits.
But the fact that I had explained to my female admirers the reason for my witnessing the ghost suddenly made it, and me, less interesting. "It wasn't a real ghost"; "he'd dreampt it" and so on, as they wandered, disappointed, away.
But, as I said, I try to avoid them even if they don't exist. A woman novelist who sold thousands of her novels was down to give a talk in the local library. I looked her up on Google and found that not only did she write stories about ghosts but that she actually believed in them. I did not attend her talk. Something might have rubbed off on me.

No comments: