Wednesday 11 January 2012

Noises Off

I seem to be at odds with many film/theatre/TV reviewers of late. There's "Sherlock" which every TV critic is raving about: wonderful stuff, clever, fast moving etc. I found the previous series wearing and this one silly. Then there's "Noises Off", Michael Frayn's popular play which, I am told, leaves people laughing until they collapse in the aisles. While I have not seen the latest version of this play in London now, I did see a produ0ction in Cardiff about twenty years ago; I did not find it in any way amusing. It must be me because everyone else seems to have enjoyed it a lot. I can see that it is a brilliant piece of playwriting: fast moving, full of slapstick humour etc. Its contruction is remarkable; it's like watching a conjurer keeping about ten balls in the air at the same time. But funny? No.
Two films recenty seen have been more to my taste: Woody Allen's "Midnight in Paris", a gently amusing, nostalgic look at Paris in the twenties when Hemingway and Scott Fitzgerald were there. And Terrence Davies's working of Terrence Rattigan's play "The Deep Blue Sea". Both these film makers work outside the commercial film world and, needless to say, neither film was shown in the big multi-cinemas; I saw them both in Chapter Arts Centre, Cardiff.
But there is one TV serial on which I am on the same wavelength as most reviewers and that is "Borgen", from Danish TV. This is better than anything done by British TV I think; it's politically interesting, dramatically thrilling and acted with spelendid fervour.
Can't wait to see the next two episodes.

No comments: