Thursday 24 June 2010

Gooseberries

It didn't surprise me to read today that gooseberries are not the most popular fruit in this country. I like them. I grow them. And they are now ready for picking. But, as it's said in the article, picking them is not a vrey popular occupation with professional fruit pickers. You know why: the spikes on their branches are razor sharp. I started picking them today from the only bush that has given me a good crop but had to stop because with me, around my feet, were wasps. There's probably a wasp nest near. I didn't want to be vioctim of a wasp attack. I remember a neighbour and friend of mine, a boy slightly younger than me, who got attacked by a horde of wasps; he was stung all over his face. Naturally, when I, with some other friends, heard the news we wanted to ask him to come out to play hoping he'd answer the door and show us his wounds. He did. You couldn't see his eyes: his face had swollen to the size of a football; and he was in agony he told us. He didn't come out to play.
Back to the picking of gooseberrries: you have to suffer the many spikey inoculations to get at the fruit. In the article it said that these spikes are there to protect the fruit from birds. Now I don't suppose they mean that the gooseberry plant had worked it out logically that if they grew spikes etc etc. They meant, of course, they had evolved that way. Tell me this then: why didn't the red currant produce similar spikes to protect its fruit from birds? The only protection the poor red currant can get is from man-made mesh or man-made gun.
I have decided that the only way I can pick the gooseberries and avoid the wasps is to tog myself in clothing like a burqer, eyes only visible, wear gloves and use a secateur to cut off the fruit-laden branches and de-fruit them in the house away from the wasps.
What are wasps for? In E.M.Forster's novel "A Passage to India" he has a few religious men discussing heaven and they all agreed that every living creature would go there. Except the wasp.

No comments: