Sunday 22 November 2009

Enid Blyton

I have only ever read one story by Enid Blyton; it was mercifully short and pretty awful. But the woman fascinated me then probably because I was looking for financial success in writing (never achieved) and wondered how it was that she was so prodigiously successful; maybe I could learn the trick from her. I learnt nothing from her from that one story of course, so I decided to read her biography - or was it her autobiography? Whatever - it was, I think I can truthfully say, the most boring book I have ever read (though Agatha Christie's autobiography runs it a good second).
Now that I have seen the BBC play about her life I can understand why it was so boring: it contained none of the dirt. This dramatisation was a real hatchet job on her; it was hard to imagine how it was possible to live with her, yet she had two husbands who, for a time, were fond of her - myself, I think I'd have left at the earliest opportunity before I found myself with m,y hands round her neck crying "will you just stop talking for a minute or two...."
The play gradually transformed her from being an irritation, like a rash that gradually gets worse and worse, into a monster.
Of course she was determinedly ambitious to such an extent that she practically abandoned her two daughters to the care of a maid. And her ambition was such that she achieved immense success. I read once that her sales were almost as great as The Bible which took top place in the best-seller list. Apparently she still sells 8 million books per year though she died some time ago.
She was never popular with libraries and schools whose personnel looked down their noses at the stuff she turned out. But there! they turned down their noses at Roald Dahl too.
It's always the case that when someone is very successful there's a desire by the elite writers or artists or sculptures or whatever to try to demean them for their lack of literary style or some such thing. In a book about literature for children I once looked at, there was no mention of either Enid Blyton or Roald Dahl; both seemingly were despised by that elite group of children's writers whom few children actually read.

No comments: