Saturday 21 November 2009

Bristol Old Vic

Just come back from seeing a wonderful production of Chekov's "Uncle Vanya" at The Bristol Old Vic. There has been a lot of controversy over the past few years about this old and famous theatre resulting in its closure for a year or so, but things have now been resolved and plays are being produced once again. The theatre has been refurbished - well yes it has in a way: the foyer and bars have been improved but the inside seems to me to have remained the same as it was when I went there about 20 years ago.
Now there is I suppose a good deal of nostalgia about this ancient theatre; I have the feeling that because of memories of great theatre there in the past they didn't dare modernise the interior. The fact is that it is one of the most uncomfortable places I have been for some time (excluding the upper circle of Cardiff's New Theatre). The seat I had was small and there was little leg room; the seat itself was not horizontal but sloped forward; every time I tried to sit properly the seat squeeked. Another thing about the row I sat it - the front row of the upper circle: it's dangerous - the balcony is too low and I could imagine someone (me that is) toppling over onto the seats in the stalls.
So here I was trying to get comfy while watching one of the finest productions of Chekov I have seen. This "Uncle Vanya" was as good as, if not betteer, than one I saw years ago with Olivier, as the doctor, and Redgrave as Vanya.

No comments: