Saturday 26 September 2009

H.G.Wells

There was a story of H.G.Wells's that I read many years ago which I recall enjoying tremendously; the trouble was I couldn't remember the title so was unable, until yesterday, to find it in the collected stories. Now at last I have found it and read it again and it's still superb. All I did was put up on Google "H.G.Wells - short stories" and up came a list of his stories and, by clicking on a title, I was able to read the whole story. The wonders of modern science! The wonders of the internet!
The story is called "Mr Brisher's Treasure". It tells - or rather Brisher himself tells - how he was engaged to a young woman whose father did not like or approve of him..... But read it for yourself. Wonderful story, very amusing, superb ironic end.
I recall Malcolm Muggeridge saying that he did not like Wells. I wondered at the time if it had to do with Wells the man or his works. Probably both. Muggeridge could take against a lot of other writers: Zola he hated, Chandler he made fun of. Yet he seemed a decent type. When he interviewed Brendan Behan on television he was the soul of tact and decency. There he was, unruffled by Behan's drunken behaviour, insisting on asking him questions about his art while Behan did his best to answer him but struggled against the booziness of his brain. Afterwards I recall Behan referring to Muggeridge as "the only English gentleman I have ever met".
I do wish I knew why Muggeridge did not like Wells: did it have something to do with Wels's aetheism? Or his style of writing? Or his womanising? What I wonder? He never gave a reason to my knowledge.
I have not read many of Wells's novels but his short stories I think are marvellous.

No comments: